Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chicago Sports - Bears

I want to take this week to go over the current state of every major Chicago sports team. By the end of it, I think we will all agree it is pretty depressing to be a Chicago sports fan right now.

Part 1 - Chicago Bears

Bears- First off, let's go over their coaching carousel. Lovie Smith, when they hired him, seemed like a good fit. He has a defensive mind set and the Bears are all about defense. However, how good has the D been the last two years. I'm not going to look it up, but I'm thinking they are in the lower half of the NFC. The other thing with Lovie that disappoints me is his passion. I don't think a coach who never shows emotion on the sideline has ever won a Superbowl. Even Dungy showed some passion at certain points in the game. But hey, at least Lovie is dedicated to his players ("Rex is our quarterback").

Now let's look at the actual team. First off, as much as any Bears wants to think it, Hester is NOT a NO. 1 receiver, and he never will be. The bears managed to take away the best part of his game (kick returning). Way to go coaches. Cutler was a disappointment this season. Almost challenging Brett Favre's interception record. Yet, one stat many fans probably don't know; Cutler has a career-high in TD passes this year. (It probably helped playing the Lions twice). Despite his record, he still led the team to a underachieving 7-9 record. I think two years ago, former Bears wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad said WR's go to Chicago to die. I agree, but maybe he meant QB's too.

No comments:

Post a Comment