Thursday, February 7, 2013

Selling: Do You Believe in It?

Today, I had the opportunity to leave the office for lunch and meet with a potential new member. Even if it wen badly, at least I was getting a free lunch out of it.

So JM and I met AW to talk about a potential WOMMA speaking gig. Anyone who knows me knows I hate selling. I was never trained to do it. It is not the popular profession in my family. I don't particularly enjoy talking so needless to say it does not fit my persona.

While JM took the lead in explaining all the great benefits of WOMMA, I sat there and admired the work she was doing. JM is just like me. She hates selling. Membership and marketing stay away from the sales jardon and sales conversation. Nonetheless, we let our passion for the brand bleed through.

Both of us truly believe in the power of word of mouth and the idea of what WOMMA stands for. Even if you are not a trained salesman, or women, when you believe in the brand, the conversation naturally flows. Instead of talking numbers and dues, you talk about instances, opportunities and people. You talk about the stuff people truly care about.

In certain instances, the brand just sells itself. Tobacco comes to mind. But, when the brand can't just sell itself, or even if you don't have anything tangible the lead can hold, you have to do the work at it. Believing in that brand makes the work seem like any other conversation,

No comments:

Post a Comment