Monday, May 13, 2013

A Few Lessons from Mom

Yesterday, we celebrated Mother’s Day, a day to not only recognize the most important person in many peoples’ lives, but a day to look at back at some of the vital lessons our mothers have taught us over the years.

Like many people, I truly believe I have the best mother on earth. Her compassion, love and genuine care for my well-being is unmatched by any mother I have ever met. In addition, she instilled in me important life values that I have lived with, live with today and will hopefully continue to live with for the rest of my life.

Putting Others Before Yourself

Jackie Robinson once said “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” That is a terrific quote that far too many people forget. I may be terrific at my job, make lots of money or just live an entertaining life, but if I don’t make a difference in other peoples’ lives, what am I worth? The answer is nothing. My mother demonstrates and masters this rule better than anyone I know. She is not the biggest eater, but she is someone who would give up her first portion before one’s third. With arthritis or a bad shoulder, she is someone who would lift a weight before her ailing son. Fever, cold, flu or whatever, she is someone that would bring soup to those in lesser need. If anyone has an impact on other lives, it is my 
mother.

Understand Others Before You Judge

My mother recently sent a video entitled “This is Water,” which perfectly demonstrates the next lesson my mother emulates. It is a nine-minute video, but well worth your time.


One of the main takeaways from this commencement speech video is that we as human have choices before we judge someone. Even though the person in the front of you at Trader Joe’s may be taking her sweet time, she could have just lost a love one. She could have just saved someone’s life as a doctor hours before. She could be on her last dime in the bank. Or, to be honest, she could be a lazy mother who needs a kick in the ass. Either way, humans should always consider life in the other shoes before judging someone. I don’t always do this (as many don’t I assume), but my mother does. She shows compassion when anger is the typical reaction. She shows understanding when frustration usually boils over. She shows pleasantness even if it isn’t deserved.

For the sake of rambling on, this is where I am going to stop. I could go on and on about the values instilled in me by my mother like the importance of family, try hard, never give up and so on, but I want to invite my readers to share the lessons they have learned from their mothers. Share them in the comment section below or tweet me at @JacobHurwith.

No comments:

Post a Comment