Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Funday Post: The Shamrock Shuffle

This past Sunday, I had the chance to run in my second Shamrock Shuffle. While I didn’t get to run with my favorite partner in the world, Rachel, it was a fantastic day running five miles with all the guys.

Unlike last year, I am very happy to say that many of my close friends have gotten into running. I don’t think any of us really know why we do it; maybe to stay in shape, maybe to prove something or maybe to show off. Either way, I don’t care. Any opportunity to forget about work and real life problems and hang with the guys I love is a perfect day for me.


But this post, as the title suggests, is my chance to write about something just for the hell of it and I want to chat about the reasons I run.

Like everyone else, I don’t particularly enjoy running. I’d like to say that it clears my head, but it really doesn’t. Unless I am deep in thought about the run, I am usually thinking about money, work, girls, or what I am going to eat after the run. Either way, the mind is not clear.

And if you think I am trying to show off by saying I can run far, please. That just isn’t in my DNA.

Undoubtedly, I run to prove I can do it. Running is about pure determination. It is not about strength. It is not about physical stamina. It is a pure battle between you and no one else and I love it. If you can’t make that distance, you have no one to blame but yourself. If you can’t beat that time, you have no one to blame but yourself. No matter your goal, the only person stopping you is yourself.

Sadly, many aspects of life are not the same. At work, there are issues out of your control. With health, there are certain hereditary limitations some people can’t get over. For life, there are certain setbacks people are just born with. However, when it comes to running, no matter what, you control your conclusion. Wouldn’t have it any other way. 

1 comment: